Answer one of the following questions:
— What is the significance of the goddess Venus for Roman politics and poetry?
— “It cost so much to found the Roman nation” (Aeneid 1.33). What, according to Vergil’s epic, are the costs of empire?
— To what extent is Vergil’s Aeneid a reflection of contemporary Rome?
— Discuss the depiction of power and tyranny in Seneca’s Thyestes.
— Discuss the figure of the father in Roman life, politics, art, and literature.
- Your second paper is due April 26th.
- This paper must be 5-7 pages in length and will make up 20% of your grade.
- Format all papers double-spaced with Times New Roman, 12-point font, 1” margins at top and bottom, 1” margins on sides.
- Papers must be printed and handed in (not emailed) on the stated date to your Teaching Fellow at the beginning of the lecture.
- All papers MUST include references to primary sources discussed in this course (in lecture and/or in section).